If the FBI can do a top ten list of terror in 2009, we can come up with a list too! Money Jihad selected these ten stories because they help expose the threat of jihadist financing in 2009 the best.
10. Zakat funds jihad: Candor alert—the leader of jihadists in the Caucasus let the cat out of the bag by admitting that most of his groups funding comes from forced zakat collections from the local populace. Oops, or was it Muhammad that let that cat out centuries ago? (And yes, this story also made my top 10 list of zakat scandals in the past five years.)
9. WMD risks mount: The Brits predicted that more money, more technology, and more mobility would lead to an increased threat of dirty bombs & illicit materials being used against us. Najibullah Zazi and Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab are proving them right.
8. President is zakat enabler? Despite ample warnings of the dangers of modern zakat-giving, including the funding of the 9/11 terrorist attacks through zakat, Pres. Obama promised in Cairo to help Muslims fulfill their zakat obligations.
7. Abysmal zakat accounting throughout the year as documented in the short history of this blog here, here, and here. Why is this a problem? If you don’t really know where zakat is going, then you don’t really know where zakat is going.
6. Palestinian aid scandal: United Nations humanitarian “aid” to “Palestinian refugees” is revealed to give “services to people who simply don’t need the charity, and many are not refugees, and some are not even Palestinians” and even to use medical aid for military purposes. This fiasco serves as a perfect case study in what Islamic fundamentalists do with “charity”—they funnel it into holy war.
5. Jizya lives in Pakistan. In accordance with the Hadith, Non-Muslims who wouldn’t pay the jizya (and even some who did), faced the ransack or eviction from their property, or even death. The facts were so disturbing that even the accommodating U.S. State Department was forced to condemn Pakistan in its annual religious freedom report.