Flashback: Romney’s No ApologyNovember 4, 2012
Mitt Romney touched on several issues involving jihad and the necessity for energy independence from the Middle East in his book, No Apology. Some of the governor’s comments—which suggest that he has a far clearer understanding of global threats, foreign affairs, and national security than his opponent—are worth revisiting today. Romney wrote:
- Radical Sunni & Shia “endeavor to cause the collapse of all competing economies and systems of government.”
- “In all forms of energy, Russia already is the largest exporter in the world, actually outpacing Saudi Arabia.”
- “Our dependence on foreign oil rose from 42% of our total consumption in 1990 to 58% today.”
- “Massive Saudi investment in Islamic study centers in Western universities is designed” to lull the West into inaction.
- “The [Ottoman] empire’s wealth was amassed from pillage and taxes.”
A presidential candidate who actually defends America and who is critical of aggressive rivals? Very refreshing.